Sunday, March 28, 2010

[My Collection] Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes


If you've played Flying Buffalo's Tunnels and Trolls, you're familiar with Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes, because they share the same combat rules and a few other things, like Saving Rolls.

Originally published in 1983 and written by the great Mike Stackpole (an excellent game designer as well as the publisher/researcher of the Pulling Report), the game improves upon Tunnels and Trolls by adding skills while still keeping the rules-lite nature of the base system.

I only played a few games of this in the early 80s (as opposed to the many, many games of Tunnels and Trolls) and managed to find a copy a decade or fifteen years ago. Look to RPG.net for a good review of the book.

4 comments:

  1. The skill-advancement routine is a bit tedious, but other than that, I agree that it is a wonderful game.

    Fortunately for anyone who doesn't have a copy, Flying Buffalo, Inc. still has copies available, as well as virtually every official product for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of which, I need to look at their site to see what all the official products are and "aquire" them through some dubious contacts and front companies while preventing my enemies from knowing what I'm up to (it is, however, a shell-game switcheroo to disguise my REAL project).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see...

    :)

    WV: Andedban

    A series M star in the most remote section of the observable universe, the light of which is obscured by a nearby quasar, and around which orbits the sole planetary body: Ylqweth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Chair is in the Kitchen.
    Johnny has a Long Mustache.
    The Football is in Play.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.