Saturday, May 29, 2010

[In The Game] Rendezvous in Samarra

An old Sufi story about Fate, using the personification of Death as the hammer.

One day, a merchant going about his business in the bazaar unexpectedly encounters a friend of his, who looks very pale and is shaking from fear.

"My friend," he asks, "Whatever is the matter?"

"I must leave this town at once," replies the other, in great agitation, "I shall go immediately to Samara."

"But why?" asks the merchant, much surprised.

"Just now," explains the frightened man," as I was walking here in the bazaar, I saw Death, and I am sure that he noticed me." With those words, the merchant's friend rushes away to prepare for his journey.

The merchant, continuing to stroll among the fine carpets and jewellery, the fruits and spices of the bazaar, himself comes across Death, who speaks to him in this way:

"As I was walking here in the bazaar not long ago, I came across your friend. I must admit that I was surprised to see him here in this town, because I have an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

Does this story end here? Or is the real story what happens in Samarra?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.