Sunday, January 2, 2011

[My Collection] 1938: A Very British Civil War

[SANY0663.jpg]
I first heard of 1938: A Very British Civil War from this thread on RPG.net. It's a setting for miniature warfare, not an actual RPG. The setting is based around the Edward VIII abdication crisis in an alternate Britain.

Edward refuses to abdicate and marries Mrs. Simpson, throwing the country into chaos as a result. The government walks out, so does the Anglican Church, and the King appoints a fascist to Prime Minister. That pushes the country to splinter. Now Royalist forces, supplemented by the British Union of Fascists, are fighting trade unions, leftists, army and navy deserters, Church of England clergy, and more, in a scrum for the fate of the Empire.

That is so cool! So I found the Solway Crafts and Miniatures website and searched the web for news on it, where I found a number of reviews/links (1, 2), including the main forum for the setting (the Edward VIII Cocktail Bar, over at the Gentlemens Wargame Parlour).

So I bought it. In fact, I bought the first 6 books of the series, sight-unseen:
  • Sourcebook 1, second edition
  • Sourcebook 2: The Gathering Storm, Part 1: Scotland and the North
  • Sourcebook 2: The Gathering Storm, Part 2: The Midlands and the South
  • Sourcebook 3: The Fall of Empire
  • Factions, Flags and Formations
  • A Guide to the Anglican League
About a week later, I got them and I have not been disappointed. I plan on getting the rest as they come out (one of which did while I was reading them). And the main benefit of the books is that there are no rules. It's all setting.

And so I'm going to create a Savage Worlds 1938: A Very British Civil War campaign. Look for it!

3 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the Ian McKellan film version of Richard III as inspirational fuel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is well worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also try 'Went the Day Well?'.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.