Sunday, June 12, 2011

[Sea Roads] Book List

"He went straight to the shelf and took down the two Lore-Books, which Ogion had never yet opened in his presence." - A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula K. LeGuin, Chapter 2: The Shadow.

My inspirational book list for Sea Roads is as follows:

The Earthsea novels by Ursula K. LeGuin:
I've chosen these specifically and not the later novels because I felt the trilogy pre-1975 was the best of the lot and the following two novels didn't speak to me as much as these did. However, I found myself enjoying the compilation Tales so I've added that book.

The Darwath novels by Barbara Hambly:

I like these Hambly books because they have a very similar flavor of wizards as Earthsea - a connection to spells, names and natural magic ability that I found very compelling.

Reference material:
Both of these books are wonderful references, not only of Earthsea information but other fantasy worlds that will provide ideas for the setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.