Tuesday, November 26, 2013

[Resources] Copyright


I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV. But I write stuff. 

And sometimes that stuff is really good, so I have found it necessary to protect my work. If you feel the same, so should you.

A few years ago I found this very simple website called The Copyright Authority

It's got a brief flowchart on copyright and some links to music copyright and choosing a lawyer.

Another resource is the Creative Commons website. It allows you to choose what you want to do with your art, whether to share it freely or to clamp down on what others can use it for.

For Asshat Paladins, I've chosen the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license, which requires anyone who uses my content to attribute me as the original author (Attribution), disallows using my content for financial gain (Non Commercial) and requires they use the same license (Share Alike).

While it may only be as good as I can afford to defend it, it's at least a start. At least until the copyright zombie apocalypse!

2 comments:

  1. I use the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike license as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog.

    When I was writing this post, I did a little bit of research and re-read the Creative Commons website.

    The advantage of using CC is that I can give permission (i.e. waive) to using my IP. So if someone out there wants to use my stuff, I'm amenable to a large $$$$ check. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.